Taylors Clinical Nursing Skills – This heavily illustrated and clearly written text details over 185 basic and advanced skills
Taylors Clinical Nursing Skills: A Nursing Process Approach aims to help nursing students or graduate nurses incorporate cognitive, technical, interpersonal, and ethical legal skills into safe and effective patient care. This book is written to meet the needs of novice to advanced nurses. Many of the skills shown in Taylors Clinical Nursing Skills may not be encountered by the student while in school but may be encountered once the graduate nurse has entered the workforce.
Because it emphasizes the basic principles of patient care, we believe Taylors Clinical Nursing Skills can easily be used with any Fundamentals text. However, this Skills book was specifically designed to accompany Fundamentals of Nursing: The Art and Science of Nursing Care, Seventh Edition, by Taylor, Lillis, LeMone, and Lynn, to provide a seamless learning experience. Some of the Skills and Guidelines for Nursing Care from the Taylor Fundamentals book may also be found in this book, but its content has been embellished here to:
• Highlight the nursing process
• Emphasize unexpected situations that the nurse may encounter, along with related interventions for how to respond to these unexpected situations
• Draw attention to critical actions within skills
• Illustrate specific actions within a skill through the use of more than 1,000 four-color photographs and illustrations
• Highlight available best practice guidelines and/or research-based evidence to support the skills as available
• Reference appropriate case study or studies included at the end of the book, emphasizing which case studies utilize and enhance the content of each chapter. Additionally, Taylors Clinical Nursing Skills contains numerous higher-level skills that are not addressed in the Taylor Fundamentals book.
This text and the entire Taylor Suite have been created with the student’s experience in mind. Care has been taken to appeal to all learning styles. The student friendly writing style ensures that students will comprehend and retain information. The extensive art program enhances understanding of important actions. Free video clips clearly demonstrate and reinforce important skill steps; as students watch and listen to the videos, comprehension increases. In addition, each element of the Taylor Suite, which is described later in the preface, coordinates to provide a consistent and cohesive learning experience.
Taylors Clinical Nursing Skills is organized into three units. Ideally, the text will be followed sequentially, but every effort has been made to respect the differing needs of diverse curricula and students. Thus, each chapter stands on its own merit and may be read independently of others.